Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Alma Matter - Sultan Abdul Hamid College

I feel honour and proud that the latest article from Dr. Mahathir is entitled SAHOCA. SAHOCA is the acronym of Sultan Abdul Hamid Old Collegian Association. I am one of the alumni from this school. I joined SAHC in the year of 1992-1993. Only one year spending time in college but to the certain extend it made a strong impact , a college life.

The paradigm of One for All, All for One was deeply planted in our brain at that time. It is traditional culture which applicable to everyone. If someone makes mistake means everyone must takes the responsibility and vice versa. One I most remembered was , the school theme." Strong loyalty, we give our king....bla ..bla "It sounds so classic ,as it is you are standing right in front of Luciano Pavarotti and supported with the acoustic piano.Yupp, ... the school 's song is in English doesn't mean everyone here well converse in English and I strongly believe most of them don't even understand what are they singing during the assembly.

During that time, most of my friends were from the upper six which I believe a license for me to expose the naughty thing. Well in college , if you are in form five you are still considered junior so that I had to make a friendship shake hand to my senior. From that I learned the skills of communication and public relations.
Most of collegian who stayed in the hostel are totally from the village including me . Those who stays outside are from the urban side as you can see how they expose themselves and the social lifestyle.

When MCKK came to SAHC, I can see there are a lot of barriers , from the way they talk, the shirt they wear and their taste of music. I must remember, on the prompt night of both schools at the hall, Zali & Butterfingers (MCKK)were performing Creep of Radiohead while Lee Tulang (my school) was singing Sampai Hati from Spring.
I was about to put my face inside the toilet bowl and flush it down.Malu gila beb...x class langsung..
That one I must give credit to previous school (SMSB) where the English implementation was much-much better. Well at least , they 've listened to a better choice of music and well conversed in English. It was my first gig (if that can be considered as gig) ever and I had a chance to watch Butterfingers. Just asked Loque..he said , he still remember that.

Though, the first name is college but on the certain extend I can see that not most of the student well exposed with English, books, comic and they hate liberalisation. At that time I was hooked up with radical music and also some budaya kuning la... ( I did shaved my head at that time it looked like a NaziPunk) and most of them couldn't accept it and that's where the Din Sami came out from. They looked at me as an alien.

Not many schools in the country like college. With the reputation two prime ministers from that school, it was accommodated by good infrastructures such as pavillion, jamming studio and a large hall. And now the school is seeking for donation to build another centennial hall.
I studied in SAHC with inadequate fund and from that I learned how to survive. I still remember how we purchased a bowl of rice and shared with friends. Inside the rice, we plant the dishes and that’s how to get a cheaper price in the canteen at the recess time.

College is an all boy’s school. Girl’s student only can be found in the form six and most of the form sixer, they have date and couple drastically. Some of them looks damn desperate to be in companion. To them, they might look like a dog if they fail to get a girlfriend so that some of them really get a partner in a rush even if you look at their girlfriend, my God ...that's it ..(tamau komen , dosa).
I think they’d suffer a lot for their first five years without girlfriend. I was the one who always being hired by senior to do wishing cards to their girlfriends especially Ismawi and Pak Malau.
From all teachers I remember, Sir Segaran Nair is the most person I always adore and respects. A Saddam Hussien look teacher , he was a warden to my hostel. According to SAHC facebook, I was told that he is going to retired this year. Due to zaman jahilliah dolu-dolu, there was a rumble festival , I was chased by friends and I was totally naked at that time and guess what, I 've got no place to run, I ran to the most fronting gate at the hostel and then what happened was, he drove his car with wife. I was so shame and I think he must remembered me the most..Haa hah haaa
I was a prebet in the army cadet and the shortest boy in the royal parade. One of the memories that I can’t forget during the royal parade was when The Sultan gave a cross checked to the parade. Whenever he reached next to me, he asked my friend “ Fadlullah, Bagaimana keadaan Kolej Sekarang?” and guess what he answered” Okaylah, Sultan.”..I was about to laugh and felt like the M16 I hold to fall down. What a crazy and stupid answer to a Sultan. Mat Dagu aka Fadlullah...one of the stinkiest underarm person in the world...Maybe he was so panic and gabra.

That’s the old good things. Many of stories can be shared but not all because there are some should be censored. Joyride..I owe my school very much and that's where my thinking process starts being moulded and digested .From that, I'd being a human and where I am now. To all the teachers there, thank you a lot...thanx to the icarus sky.

Saifuddin Ali
Class of 93 /94