Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Money Matters@Jesselton

Waiting Arm touching down from Tawau made me stress. I am in the situation of dire straits for having nothing about tomorrow’s meeting. But waiting for someone in the airport is killing me softly.

This past few days taught my body to sweat as I travelled from Singapore, back to KL now I am in KK. Due to my schedule next week, I supposed to attend a meeting in Kuantan and I have to board to Langkawi for a workshop (cancelled already). I once told my subordinate that working in JLN sometimes makes you feel like James Bond. In the morning you are here and the evening you might be somewhere else but the different is you are not being equipped with sci-fi gadget and sexy girls. You are also not acquiring to play poker in order to solve the problem nor are you working with government.

For the second time I watched a movie during my outstation duty. The first time was in Kuching , watching Transformers 2. Suria Sabah, located at Jalan Fuad Stephen, KK is a new shopping nod to Sabahan After along boring meeting, I then walked-up at GSC and purchased Wall Street ticket.

Money against humanity and that’s the plot of the story. Gecko Gordon, Jacob, Lou and Winnie are the white side of the story while William Bretton is on the dark side. Bulls’ makes money, bear makes money and pig assassinated. Now, Oliver Stone returns as the director, and Michael Douglas reprises his role as Gordon Gekko. If there was ever a time to revamp he original it is now. “Wall Street,” was great, but it is so outdated that now it can be a bit hard to watch. In the updated sequel, Gordon Gekko is out of prison and is not sure what to do with himself. He is no longer the powerhouse that he once was. The new blood on Wall Street is represented by Jake Moore, who is played by Shia LaBeouf, who is dating the daughter of Gordon Gekko.
How a father could cheat his daughter just for the sake of money and how a tycoon made up stories and convince the investor that the speculation is real and made someone committed suicide. I now more understand about the case of Sosilawati murder. It is all about the crudeness of people who play with money.

The movie suffers because it is less about Wall Street, and is more about Gekko’s attempts to reconnect with his daughter and Moore’s attempts to make the reconciliation happen for his own purposes. LaBeouf does a great job with the part. For the first time in his career he looks like a grown up playing an adult part instead of a child playing an adult role of vice versa.
The film never decides what it wants to do with Gordon Gekko’s character. He never seems sure about whether he wants to get back into Wall Street or reconnect with his daughter to become a family man, and ultimately the film suffers because of that.
Duhhh!! Its is still all about money even the love portion is part of the sugar and spice and you must at least understand a lil bit about the stock exchange to understand the storyline or else you will lost in the middle.

After the movie, I had my dinner at Philippine Market. Bakso Makassar (then re-dinner with Am again, Ikan+Sotong Bakar). Boleh lah..