Sunday, January 9, 2011

Father 2011: A New Challenge

I am writing this after Bunkface performed with their three piece chord's“Extravaganza” on the TV for a freak live telecast annual song contest. Strangely no ones really undertstand what does " extra" means in this brave new world today. The day is quite bright but cruel with cooking oil ran out of stock, the price hijack of evaporated milk nor the rubber price up to RM 15 per kilo and suddenly it makes feel to go back hometown and be a rubber tapper . It looks everything is now extra-extra and same goes to the subject of raising kids now. Extra concern and extra money. Is it time to string yet another few words into fancy new years resolution? I don’t know especially when you are into mid 30’s and the pace of life has somewhat slowed down. Rock n Roll retired.

I think I‘ll make do with a simple “be a better parents”, but that sounds too vague. It’s almost like not mentioning how many kilos you want to shed and when you say ‘lose some weight”. So how detailed I should be? Today, kids are different bunch compared with those from yesteryear.

And parents have so many alternatives in raising their kids. What should be worried now is the education’s policy, whether science and math should be taught in English or what or is History compulsory to pass or not or what is another five years. Is it still flip flop or any 'hybrid' decision. Another thing is like so many cartoon characters (I only knew Thundercats and Space Cop Gaban) and the annual family vacation to be planned when there is low cost carrier who catered the lower income like me. Kids nowadays no longer ask to be taken to the zoo, pool and museum and I remember how boring Yasmine and Shahnaz were when I brought them to Zoo Taiping, December last year.

I am now paranoid and frighten if one day my kids going to ask for overseas trip for family vacation and at their age, the most far I explored was Royal Nasi Kandar which is 100 km from my hometown. But you can’t compare everything that way .Parents these days have to go overindulging their kids. I’m sure I wouldn’t ask my father to Disneyland Hong Kong if we had low cost airlines operating during our times as I knew my father just could afford it. I don’t know about the others. Either our parents would agree with us they might emphasize the cliché line which is work hard before you enjoy yourselves.

Kids today want instant gratification. Each A in UPSR, PMR or SPM comes with monetary rewards. I beg to differ during 80’s, we would make do with a nod of approval, a smile and a “keep it up” or else that synonym to my father compliment’s chorus..., “Baguih ..belajaq rajin-rajin, Ayah dulu pandai macam ni la…”. I guess that explains why the Gen X’ers are better at managing money while our younger brothers or sisters go out of control with their first credit card. They’d being fished by money too much.

Now I realized, it’s not easy to be a father and so my resolution this year should account for the difficulties and balance them with enjoying the funny moments of two beautiful daughters in their growing years.
To Yasmine , Shahnaz and Zareene... I love you guys more than anything in this world. You guys are my soul and the reason why I’m alive. Love all, serve all.