Monday, April 23, 2012

PTPTN: An experience.

I am PTPTN borrower and completely finished my studies in 2002 for my first degree. My father at that time was completely pensioner and as a Felda settler he can’t afford to support me. As a student from a working class family a sufficient fund is needed to bare my studies. Hoping for a scholarship at that time is something impossible due to my diploma’s CGPA is just half cooked. To cut it short, I took PTPTN to fund my studies and cost of living else well. Without any briefing for the interest, a desperate young man grabbed it without asking anything.

Waiting for the fund to be transferred so suffocated and I had to wait for the second semester. Luckily my saving helps me a lot. I was lent RM18, 000 and according to the agreement I had to pay every monthly installment for about RM 110 for ten years without fail. With that amount, I pay my house rent, tuition fees and thesis preparation. Again there sometimes I swindle that money going for cinemas and attending weekend rock n roll gigs .As for me it just isn’t a wrongdoing by doing so as I believe I would pay back the money plus interest. Failing to do so would derive an interest would be imposed with some percentage which I never bother at that time.

Graduated in 2002 then I get a job in an architect’s firm with pay at RM 2500 gross at that time and my take home pay is about 2300 after reduction of EPF. Living in KL where status quo counted, having a car is a must for a graduated landscape architect. With a little help from my brother in law, I commit a second hand national car with the installment at RM 600 per month. With that car, I dream of having a girlfriend and the secretary of my office was the main targeted. God is always on my side and she then became my girlfriend and off course there is price I had to pay. At the same commit with someone you already confirm to be your long live partner urged a money saving. Again I had to save for big day and I ignore PTPTN.

The need statement of current living lifestyle whispered me to ignore PTPTN as it is there are other things more serious and priority rather than paying back to government.

After three years serving in construction firms with a good pay I then join the public sector. Still I haven’t paid any cents to PTPTN. Joining government with a low pay plus I just getting married are another good reason for not paying PTPTN even I saw some circulars by the government is catching out the dogs like me. Still I pay not any cents.

One fine day, I saw one memo on top my table saying that I was selected to be station in Chiang Mai and it happens on Ramadan. To be place working out of from country, as a civil servant need to have a good CV with top management and they did asked whether I pay my study loan. I then just grab the taxi to KL Sentral , for PTPTN One Stop center . Since that I pay my study loan monthly.

Today several students demonstrates their unsatisfied towards PTPTN. They launched a new university called Universti Dataran Merdeka and urged for a free education. The increment of cost of living is the main reason and some samples of free tertiary education in other country is model for them. True enough paying back PTPTN is burdened but by abolish it what would happened for those good payer like me. Are they going to pay me back or it just unlucky I was because I was and am a discipline payer? I would suggest the government just to give the loan without interest. That’s the best. For those who are currently paid , align it back, if it more , pay back to them , if that is equal then time to stop. If it less , ask them to pay.

PTPTN without interest would make everyone happy.